Saturday, February 27, 2016


Taken from book - NEW ENGLAND FAMILIES, GENEALOGICAL AND MEMORIAL, a Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealth
and the Founding of a Nation
(Book 3 or 4 books in this series)  Pages 1404-1405

Stephen Flanders, immigrant ancestor of all of the colonial families of this name in Massachusetts and Maine, and possibly of the whole country, was born in England about 1620.  He was a pioneer in Salisbury, Massachusetts, as early as 1640, and a proprietor of that town from 1646 to 1677.  He married Jane ______, who died November 19, 1683.  He died June 27, 1684.  His will was proved September 30, 1684, bequeathing to his eldest son STEPHEN, to daughters Mary, Naomi and Sarah, and to grandchild, Thomas Flanders, the residue being left to sons PHILIP and JOHN.

Children of Stephen and Jane:

A.  MARY died May 4, 1650

B.  STEPHEN was born in Salisbury Massachusetts, March 8, 1646, died October 6, 1744, aged 98 years, 6 months, and 26 days.  He married, December 28 1669, ABIGAIL CARTER, born February 22, 1653, daughter of Thomas and Mary Carter.  Children born at Salisbury:  Thomas, February 17, 1671, died April 1 1672; Stephen, January 31, 1672, married Sarah Blaisdell; Thomas December 3, 1673, married, March 8, 1711, Catherine Hackett; Daniel, March 16, 1676; Joseph, March 28, 1677; PHILIP (see below in blue), Jane, March 1684, married John Martin; Jeremiah, September 1686, married Mary Hayes; Abigail born October 1688, married Jabez Page.

PHILIP, son of Stephen Flanders 2nd was born in Salisbury, January 8, 1681.  He married, February 2, 1710 Joanna Smith.  They settled at Kingston, New Hampshire.  Their children:  Sarah, born November 16, 1710;  PHILIP (see below in red), Zipporah, March 4, 1716; Joanna, May 20, 1719, Abigail, August 15, 1722; Richard, April 6, 1727, June 29, 1728.

PHILIP, son of PHILIP, son of STEPHEN, son of STEPHEN Flanders was born at Kingston or Salisbury, March 13, 1713.  He married October 1735, Hannah Morrill.  Their children:  Sarah born 1736, James 1739, Daniel, Ezra born 1743, PHILIP (1746 see below in purple); Christopher was born in Kingston or Hawke, New Hampshire.  He served in the revolution of the Lexington Alarm, marching from New Ipswich (see Revolutionary Rolls, NH State Papers xiv, pg 34).  The history of Warner says:  "Christopher Flanders, brother of James, came from Hawke, New Hampshire, remained a few years and removed to Canada" (pg 93).  He may have lived at Sutton, New Hampshire for a time, after leaving Warner.  He settled finally in the providence of Quebec, Canada.

The family settled at Hawke, now Dansville, New Hampshire, and many of them went to Warner, New Hampshire.  The history of Warner says:  "Daniel Flanders came from Hawke, now Danville, and lived in the lower village near the Henry B Chase house.  He was Warner's first town clerk.  His farm extended across the river and the lightning struck one of his trees near the Hutchinson place, broke it down and shivered it in pieces.  Flanders hauled it home for firewood and in doing this stuck a sliver into his hand.  He got cold in this slight wound and died.  From that circumstance, most of the people believed that the electric fluid poisons the wood and that a scratch from a splinter of such a tree is sure death.

PHILIP, son of Christopher Flanders, was born about 1790, probably at Warner, New Hampshire.  He settled at Hatley, province of Quebec, Canada.  He married Lydia Hall.  Children:  Craig, George, Hiram, Seth, Mary and Amanda. 

James Flanders from Hawke, now Danville, also came to Warner.  He was a farmer and cordwainer and for 8-10 years a State senator and a leading citizen.  He had sons Calvin, Abner, Ezra, PHILIP and Timothy (pg 250 Warner).

PHILIP  Flanders, was from Hawke, a brother of Daniel (who came to Warner with him) and to James and Christopher (who came afterward).  Philip settled where the symmetrical elm tree now stands, it being the first place on the Schoodac Road.  He was the father of MAJOR PHILIP, who lived on the Pine Plain and who is yet remembered by a majority of the people of Warner.

There was another family distantly related that also settled in Warner.  Zebulon Flanders of South Hampton, married Hannah French, of Kingston and settled where Captain Timothy and Walter M. Flanders afterward lived.  His children were:  Nathaniel, Ezekiel, Zebulon, Benjamin F, Timothy, Hannah, Job and Washington.  Hawke was formerly part of Kingston, New Hampshire.

Isaiah Flanders, another settler in Warner, was from South Hampton, and had daughters who married Nehemiah Ordway, _________ Dike, and _________Tewksbury.

Moses Flanders, of Warner, Zebulon's brother, had sons Ezekiel, Amos, John and Colonel William G. Flanders.

In the Census 1790 we find the following Flanders reported from Warner, s heads of families:  James, PHILIP, Christopher (who had 2 males under 16 and 3 females in his family), Zebulon, PHILIP JR, Moses, Isaiah and Hopk (Hopkins probably).

This picture is the final page of Flanders in this book.  I did not type it all in - as it is extended family, but want it here for the record to be complete:

Friday, February 26, 2016


Philip Flanders, son of Jacob Flanders and Mercy Clough married Mary Martin (widow).  He went to war and was killed at age 28.  Can his son be the Philip Flanders 3rd - father of Collins Eastman Flanders?

History of Merrimack and Belknap Counties, New Hampshire, Philadelphia:  J.W. Lewis & Co.,  1885.     Page 169
"The town of Boscawen is located near the center of the county, and is bounded as follows: North by Salisbury; East by Northfield and Canterbury; South by Concord and West by Webster.
The original grant of this town was made to John Coffin and eighty others by the government of Massachusetts Bay, June 6, 1733. It was named Contoocook, and bore that name until it was incorporated as a town, April 22, 1760, for a term of two years, by the government of New Hampshire, and given its present name in honor of Admiral Edward Boscawen, of the British navy.  This charter was continued for an indefinite term, by the same authority, October 7, 1763.  The first proprietor's meeting was held in Newbury, Mass, in 1733, and thirty-three of the proprietors commenced settlement in the town the following spring.
Mr. Richard Hazen, an experienced surveyor, who had been employed by the proprietors of Penacook to survey that plantation, was engaged to make the first survey of Contoocook.  The original plot, as laid by him, is on file in the archives of the Secretary of State, Boston.
During the year 1734 thirty-three settlers came to Contocook to begin life anew in the wilderness.  Rev. Mr. Price has handed down the names of twenty-seven only; but from a deposition made by Moses Burbank in 1792 the number is stated as being thirty-three as follows: David Barker, Sinkler Bean, John Bowen, Josiah Bishop, Andrew Bohonnon, Moses Burbank, Philip Call, Thomas Cook, John Corser, William Dagodon, William Danforth, Nathaniel Danforth, Joseph Eastman, Edward Emery, Edward Fitzgerald, Jacob Flanders, Richard Flood, John Fowler, Stephen Gerrish, Ambrose Gould, Richard Jackman, George Jackman, Joel Manuel, Nathaniel Meloon, William Peters, Nathaniel Rix, Daniel Rolfe.  (Jacob Flanders and Philip Call were best friends)
It is not probable that many of the settlers' families came in the spring, but most were there before the close of the year.  November 8, 1734, a meeting of the proprietors was held at the house of Archelaus Adams, in Newbury. It was voted that a saw-mill should be built at the charge of the proprietors, and Daniel hale, Joseph Gerrish and Thomas Thoria were chosen a committee to attend to the matter.  The same committee was empowered to rectify a mistake made in the laying out of lots, and John Brown, the surveyor, was engaged to go to Contoocook to show the proprietors the locations of the lots.
Five of the proprietors (Joseph Lunt, John Coffin, Thomas Thorla, Benjamin Lunt, Benjamin Coker, and Edward Emery) entered their dissent in regard to the power of the committee. 
December 18th, 1734 another meeting was held. It was voted that the intervale should be fenced by the 15th of May the following year, at the expense of the owners of the lots, and any proprietor neglecting to build his proportion should make satisfaction. It was also voted that Joseph Tappan should obtain a grindstone for the common use of the proprietors.
At this meeting further action was taken towards building a sawmill.  The year opened auspiciously to the settlers, for, on January 7th, a daughter was born to Nathaniel Danforth, the first birth in the plantation.  The infant was named Abigail, grew to womanhood and married Thomas Foss, whose name frequently appears in the records of the town.
From the action taken in regard to the discharge of the bond given by the fifteen who obligated themselves to build the saw-mill, the evidence is conclusive that the mill had been created. "Voted that the bonds of the men, which have built the saw mill will be delivered and to lay out the bonds for building said mill according to vote as by record."  It was a pioneer mill of this section of the Merrimack Valley.  The saw-mills of that period were such as any carpenter might construct.  This mill had no "nigger" wheel to move the "carriage" back after the saw had passed through the log; that labor was done by a man treading upon the cogs of the "ratchet-wheel"--labor exceedingly fatiguing.  For many years it was the only saw-mill in the town, and several of the houses now standing on King Street are covered with boards which were sawn in this first mill.
THE FIRST FORT--It was voted that a fort should be erected at the expense of the proprietors, the enclosure to be one hundred feet square, built of hewn logs, seven feet high and eight inches thick when hewn, "to be built three feet above the logs with such stuff as shall be agreed upon by the committee."  From this record it may be inferred that there was an upper work,--a chevaux-de-frise of pointed, projecting timbers, designed to prevent the enemy from climbing over the wooden walls, which undoubtedly were loop-holed for the use of musketry.    It was voted to locate the fortification on the "school lot."  The probabilities are that it was erected a few feet south of that lot, near the spot upon which the first framed house was subsequently erected by Rev. Robie Morrill.
It being found that the enclosure was not large enough to accommodate the entire community, another fortification was erected during the winter.  No record has been preserved in regard to the dimension of the garrison, but it probably was somewhat smaller, and designed as a retreat for the settlers on Queen Street in case of sudden surprise.  Through the years of trouble with the Indians, these garrisons served to protect the resolute men, who, during the most exciting times, when other frontier settlements were abandoned, never thought of yielding the ground to the foe.
The first attack of the Indians upon Contoocook was made about 1744, though the exact date is unknown.  Josiah Bishop, who was at work in his field at the lower end of King Street, was surprised by a party of Indians. They took him into the woods, probably up the rocky hill west of the lower end of King Street. He made an outcry, and quite likely preferred death to captivity.  As was subsequently learned from the Indians, he resisted bravely, and they dispatched him with their tomahawks.  The capture naturally threw the settlement into commotion; but the citizens having located their homes, determined to defend them. The summer was one of great anxiety. The families took refuge in the garrisons, while sentinels were ever on the watch while the citizens were at work.
The chief item of interest in the call for the annual meeting of the proprietor’s in 1752 was the erection of a second fort.  The meeting was held May 20th, and the following vote passed:
 "Voted to raise L200 old tenor to be laid out in building a garrison or fort & to be built forthwith and to be set on Samuel Gerrish's lot which was originally laid out unto Richard Greenough, said fort to be one hundred & ten feet square or otherwise as the committee shall Judge, allowing said building to cover the land."
This second fort was erected on the hill.  Stephen Gerrish, Jacob Flanders, and Richard Jackman were placed in charge of the work. It is probable that this fortification stood on the site of the smaller fort, erected during the previous troubles.
We have not been able (says Mr. Coffin) to ascertain what citizens of Contoocook enlisted in the war against the French and Indians. It is not likely that their names would be found on the proprietors' records.  It is known that Philip Flanders was killed at Crown Point. He was a ranger in Major Rogers' company. He was the son of Jacob Flanders, one of the first settlers (10th of 13 children – his mother was Mercy Clough) and lived at the south end of Water Street. He was brother of Deacon Jesse Flanders, who was in one or more of the campaigns against the French and Indians.
Andrew Bohonon, one of the first settlers of Contoocook, also served in one or more campaigns. He was brother-in-law of Philip and Jesse Flanders, having married their oldest sister Tabitha."

Genealogy of Philip Flanders (son of Philip Flanders who was killed at Crown Point
1. Steven Flanders married to Jane Sandusky                 birth 1620
2. Corp John Flanders married to Elizabeth Sargeant    birth 1658
3. Jacob Flanders married to Mercy Clough                     birth 1689
4. Philip Flanders married to Mary Martin (widow)       birth 1729
5. Philip Flanders (Steven Call guardian)                   est. birth 1757
If this Philip married Eunice Eastman in 1796 he would have been 39 years old, and Eunice (born 1776) would be 20 years old.  If Collins Eastman Flanders (born 1814) then his father would have been 57 years old at time of his son's birth.
6. Philip 3rd - Is there a son born approx. 1775-1776?